This (apparently) is a Meme (pronounced ‘meem’). There are always loads of things like this floating around online, on Facebook etc. and I usually view them as daft, pointless quizzes, chain emails etc. Someone has evidently had the idea that if you call it a Meme instead it will instantly become trendy and incite more people to fill it in and pass it on. I’m not really sure what the difference is: what does a thing like this need to have in order to qualify as a bona fide meme, or do they all qualify because the name is all-encompassing?
I’m going to go along with it in this case, partly because I’m interested in memes as they relate to our future cultural development (what some have termed Memetic Evolution), and partly because one of my readers Lillian tagged me when she put the meme on her blog, and the last thing I want to do is upset my readers.
So, here goes, and I shall extend my contribution to the meme by correcting the grammar/spelling mistakes in the questions as I go:
The Best Of 2008:
1. One of my most fondest memories of 2008 was:
Taking delivery of my scooter. First motorcycle for over 20 years.
2. One of the most happiest moments for me in 2008 was:
Relaxing with the family on holiday in Key West.
3. The best album I downloaded/bought in 2008 was:
Guns ‘n’ Roses: Chinese Democracy
4. The best book I read in 2008 was:
Motorcycle Roadcraft: the Police Riders’ Handbook (can you sense a theme developing here?)
5. The best movie I watched in 2008 was:
The Dark Knight or Wall-E — can’t decide.
6. The most beautiful place I visited in 2008 was:
The English countryside (on my Hornet).
7. The best quote I heard/received in 2008 was:
I’m terrible at remembering quotes but I just did a quick internet search and this was the first one that made me laugh:
“I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.” Woody Allen
8. The best gadget I bought for myself in 2008 was:
9. The best web site I came across in 2008 was:
TV Guide — sad I know, but at least I’m being honest.
10. The luckiest moment for me in 2008 was:
Nothing jumps out; I had a pretty good year but I didn’t feel particularly lucky.
11. A new food/drink I discovered that I really enjoy:
Nothing. I think I’d already eaten and drunk everything there is to try before 2008 (ask my belt).
12. The best restaurant I dinned at in 2008:
Inamo — Wardour St. Central London
13. The best bargain I picked up in 2008:
Got 20% off my motorcycle leathers. Not a brilliant bargain but I’m not a brilliant bargain hunter.
14. The best blog post I wrote in 2008 was:
15. A blog I discovered in 2008 which I highly recommend is:
The Chronicles of Edmundia (keep it in the family).
16. The best xmas Christmas present I received in 2008 was:
17. My 2008 addiction was:
Mr. Porky pork scratchings.
18. A goal in 2008 that I did not accomplish::
Getting into the BBC Symphony Chorus.
19. But that’s okay, because I did accomplish:
Returning to motorcycling and passing my I.A.M. Test.
20. The web site I visited most in 2008:
Right. Now, I believe the last thing I have to do is tag some more blogs and challenge them to “pass it on”. How exciting.