I’ve been using iPods and iTunes for years now but never really bothered with Apple’s Genius feature before. Things are different now…
In their relentless quest to make our lives easier, cooler, and Appl-ier, Apple created Genius to recommend playlists of songs from your music library that, to quote the marketing blurb: “go great together”.
Being a professional card-carrying Grumpy Old Man I scoffed at this claim when Genius was first launched: “Yeah right, like my computer knows what I like better than I do. B*****ks!”. So I ignored it. Well, I ignored it as far as one can ignore it. Of course I had to sit and wait each time iTunes loaded for “Apple is delivering your Genius results”, but apart from that I really ignored it.
Life without Genius was great. I could decide for myself what to listen to, create my own playlists, choose albums. My music was truly Mine.
Then the other day something strange happened. I went to the gym (no, that wasn’t it) and took my iPod with me. As I reached up to plug it into the dock of the Hi-Fi I noticed the little Genius atom logo at the top of the playlist screen and, without thinking, hit New and picked a favourite song. Genius went away and did it’s thing, taking my chosen song and making it Track One of a twenty-five track playlist inspired by my choice. How good was it? Well, let’s just say that was the most enjoyable experience I’ve ever had near exercise equipment.
I’ll let Genius speak for himself:
- Master of Puppets — Metallica
- Nightrain — Guns ‘N’ Roses
- Run To The Hills — Iron Maiden
- Ace Of Spades — Motorhead
- Paranoid — Black Sabbath
- Eruption — Van Halen
- Du Hast (Live) — Rammstein
- Disposable Heroes — Metallica
- Breed — Nirvana
- Scream Aim Fire — Bullet For My Valentine
- Better — Guns ‘N’ Roses
- Detroit Rock City — Kiss
- Painkiller — Judas Priest
- No Quarter — Led Zeppelin
- Run Like Hell — Pink Floyd
- Stranglehold — Ted Nugent
- Creeping Death — Metallica
- Ain’t Talkin ‘Bout Love — Van Halen
- Feuer Frei! (Live) — Rammstein
- It’s So Easy — Guns ‘N’ Roses
- Drain You — Nirvana
- Waking The Demon — Bullet For My Valentine
- When The Levee Breaks — Led Zeppelin
- This Is The New Shit — Marilyn Manson
- The Thing That Should Not Be — Metallica
I could lie and say I stayed and pumped iron through the whole thing, so I will. I stayed and pumped iron through the whole thing and it was great!
Think I might be using Genius a bit more from now on.